optimum adj : most desirable possible under a restriction expressed or implied; "an optimum return on capital"; "optimal concentration of a drug" [syn: optimal] n : most favorable condition or greatest degree or amount possible under given circumstances [also: optima (pl)]
EtymologyFrom Latin optimum
best or most advantageous
- French: optimal
EtymologyFrom optare, ‘choose, prefer’.
Optimization or optimality is a term that may refer to:
- Optimization (mathematics), trying to find maxima and minima of a function
Optimization (computer science), improving a system to reduce
runtime, bandwidth, memory requirements, or other property of a
system; in particular
- Compiler optimization, improving the performance or efficiency of compiled code
- Search engine optimization, in internet marketing, methodologies aimed at improving the ranking of a website in search engine listings
- Process optimization, in business and engineering, methodologies for improving the efficiency of a production process
- Optimality theory in linguistics.
- Optimal classification, a process which arranges classification element attributes in an order which minimizes the number of queries necessary to identify any particular element.
For discussion of optimality in economics, see utility or efficiency (economics). See also Pareto efficiency (a synonym for "Pareto optimality").
Optimum Releasing is a film and DVD distribution company based in the UK.
Optimum TV is the brand name of a suite of digital media services offered by Cablevision Systems Corporation.
optimum in Arabic: استمثال
optimum in Bulgarian: Оптимизация
optimum in Danish: Optimering
optimum in German: Optimierung
optimum in Spanish: Optimización
optimum in Persian: بهینهسازی
optimum in French: Optimisation
optimum in Croatian: Optimizacija (razdvojba)
optimum in Hebrew: אופטימיזציה
optimum in Lithuanian: Optimizavimas
optimum in Japanese: 最適化
optimum in Korean: 최적화
optimum in Polish: Optymalizacja
optimum in Russian: Оптимизация
optimum in Slovenian: Optimizacija
best, capital, champion, choice, chosen, cream, elect, elite, excellent, exceptional, exemplar, extraordinary, fat, finest, first-class, first-rate, flower, for the best, greatest, handpicked, ideal, matchless, model, nonesuch, nonpareil, optimal, paragon, paramount, peerless, perfect, perfection, pick, picked, prime, prize, queen, quintessence, quintessential, select, sterling, superlative, supreme, surpassing, the best, the best ever, the tops, the very best, unexcelled, unique, unmatchable, unmatched, unparalleled, unsurpassed, very best